Open source has its own tradition when fall starts cooling the atmosphere around, Hacktoberfest! Beer is not flowing like water but code is, and it creates more value than any bunch of slightly tipsy people. ;-)
Curated by the American cloud hosting company DigitalOcean, with Intel and DEV, Hacktoberfest happens online every year in October to celebrate open source. It’s pretty simple: for one month, people are encouraged to engage and create at least 4 pull requests for open source projects on GitHub.
As the open source community spreads universal values, everyone is welcome to learn and share knowledge, and therefore stands together to build beneficial technologies. All those individual contributions create one great collective effort that makes this possible.
As a result, it is probably the best place to start involving in the projects you want to support. And the numbers speak for themselves since last year, no less than 483,127 pull requests have been submitted on 154,767 participating repositories!
Get acquainted with the Hacktoberfest challenge
Every contributor achieving this goal of 4 contributions will be sent a pack of nice goodies including a tee-shirt and many wonderful stickers. It is the perfect occasion to start a collection! Looking for a more sustainable gift? An environment-friendly option, the ‘pick trees, not tees’ option, will plant a tree instead of delivering you goodies. ;-)
Everyone is welcome, especially beginners, just find the open source projects you want to involve in and do your bit! It is just a four-step process:
Register for Hacktoberfest first, it is right here.
Create pull requests to involve in your favorite projects - it must have a public GitHub repository.
Wait for the project maintainers to review your contributions.
Make sure your pull requests are considered as valid to complete the challenge.
Do it again to achieve the goal of 4 pull requests!
Contribute to the PrestaShop project
As an open source project, PrestaShop is thrilled to take part in this challenge. Let’s face it: the team will not be able to speed up reviews and merges but since a great amount of the core team’s time is already dedicated to this job, this should not worry you too much.
In any case, we will gladly accept contributions, now and in the future. Here are a few steps to follow:
- Create a GitHub account, if you do not have one already.
- Fork the PrestaShop project to your Github account.
- Clone your fork to your local machine.
- Create a branch in your local clone for your changes.
- Change the files in your branch, follow our coding standards and play by the rules.
- Push your branch to your fork in your GitHub account.
- Create a pull request for your changes on the PrestaShop project.
- Identify your contribution with the Hacktoberfest label. Or add it to the description.
- Wait for the core developers to review your contribution, bring possible improvements you should make for your code to be merged.
- And here you are: it is merged, you succeeded in completing your pull request!
Need to meet your open source mates? Go to prestashop.slack.com to join a worldwide community of open source lovers and PrestaShop developers!