For those who want to dive into the new major version of PrestaShop, version 1.7, this page summarizes the available information so far – mostly published on the Build devblog, which you should read every week [:)]
- On April 4th 2016, the first public test version was released, version 188.8.131.52 alpha 3.
- On April 25th 2016, we released 184.108.40.206 alpha 4.
- On June 2nd 2016, we released 220.127.116.11 Beta 1.
- On July 18th 2016, we released 18.104.22.168 Beta 2.
- On August 1st 2016, we released 22.214.171.124 Beta 3.
- On August 29th 2016, we released 126.96.36.199 RC0.
- On September 20th 2016, we released 188.8.131.52 RC1.
- On October 10th 2016, we released 184.108.40.206 RC2.
- On October 27th 2016, we released 220.127.116.11 RC3.
- Version 18.104.22.168 was released on November 7th 2016! Read the official announcement, and the Build article.
In general, you really should pay a visit to the Build devblog on a regular basis. This is where we update the Community on the latest news from the Dev team!
Quick selection of articles about v1.7:
- Dropping support for PHP 5.2 and 5.3
June 2015: The team wants to modernize PrestaShop’s codebase by adopting PHP 5.4. Together with the adoption of SemVer, this change will mean the arrival of a new major version: PrestaShop 1.7.
- 1.7 initial announcement
September 2015: Presentation of our intentions and objectives.
- Information about CLDR, Composer, JSHint…
September 2015: The arrival of CLDR and the use of Composer in the development of version 1.7.
- Meet the team behind PS 1.7
January 2016: Sébastien and his team present the main details for the 1.7 project, in video format.
- PrestaShop episode 1.7: the module page awakens
January 2016: Presentation of one of the main projects for 1.7, the remaking of the Modules page.
- The Product Page - Evolution Revolution
February 2016: Another main project of PS 1.7, the UI/UX evolution of the Product page.
- Everything you need to know about PrestaShop 22.214.171.124
February 2016: The FAQ for the PS 1.7 project.
- PrestaShop theme documentation first draft is out
April 2016: Contribute to the creation of the theme documentation!
- How we reorganized the main menu in PrestaShop 1.7
April 2016: It’s the User Experience, baby!
- Module development changes in PrestaShop 126.96.36.199
June 2016: Prepare your 1.6 modules to ensure maximum 1.7 compatibility
- A New Translation System for PrestaShop 1.7
July 2016: it should be easier to translate PrestaShop from now on.
- New developer documentation for PrestaShop 1.7
September 2016: Dive into 1.7 module development – and contribute to the doc with pull requests!
- PrestaShop 1.7 & performances
October 2016: Hard work pays off!
Articles about the new architecture:
- New architecture initial announcement May 2015: Presenting our first architecture modernization effort, which will lead to the (pre-SemVer) major version 188.8.131.52.
- Introducing Symfony2 December 2015: The dev team has chosen to include the Symfony 2.8 framework in the new architecture for PS 1.7. The article details the integration plan.
Articles about the Starter Theme:
- Starter Theme announcement August 2015: Launch of the Starter Theme project, which rebuilds the PrestaShop’s Theme API while offering a skeleton theme which developers will be able to use in order to create their own theme way more easily. The 1.7 default theme will be built upon this Starter Theme.
- Project update 1 October 2015: Template inheritance, relative template path, new directory structure, widgetizable modules, use of custom Smarty plugins, deprecations (Mobile theme, Live Edit, scenes).
- Project update 2 October 2015: Minimal CSS, product page, notifications, use of Smarty, integration tests.
- Project update 3 December 2015: Page layout, checkout process, Payment API, layered navigation, pagination, search, contact form, cleaning (removal of Live Edit and Theme Configurator).
Articles about the new default theme:
- New default theme for PrestaShop 1.7 February 2016: Introducing the new default theme for PS 1.7, based on the Starter Theme. Screenshots!
- Designing the new PrestaShop default theme June 216: How we rebuilt the front office to suit any merchant
Articles that go beyond the scope of v1.7:
- Adopting SemVer for our version numbers June 2015: Announcing the adoption of Semantic Versioning (SemVer) for the version after 184.108.40.206, which introduce major/minor/patch releases.
- Introducing a new branching model August 2015: After adopting SemVer, the team adopts a new way of managing its Git branches (and therefore the Community pull requests on GitHub), with ‘develop’ for the development version (1.7) and ‘1.6.1.x’ for the maintenance of 1.6.
- Moving to PSR-2 code style guide June 2015: Announcing the adoption of the PSR-2 standard instead of using PrestaShop own coding standard.
- Evolution of the PrestaShop Coding Standards May 2016: How to best contribute code to the PrestaShop project
- Introducing PrestonBot September 2016: Automating the pre-review of pull requests.
- Introducing PrestaShop’s Community Framework October 2016: Improving pull request, and welcoming Michael Dekker as a Code Reviewer
Also: we’re hiring!